Monday, December 28, 2009

Let the Good Times Roll...

One, two, three o'clock, four o'clock, rock...
Five, six, seven o'clock, eight o'clock, rock...
Nine, ten, eleven o'clock, twelve o'clock, rock...



Hey all, get ready to rock (around the clock)! This is my very first blog and I'm just a wee bit nervous actually. So why, you are all asking, have I only just decided to start a blog right now? Well...pull up a seat and get comfortable!

I recently was given a record collection by an old neighbour who lived on the street I spent most of my childhood years on. Twelve years actually. I have continued to regularly visit this neighbour who is a chain smoking old pensioner with a massive collection of beer cans under his Queenslander style house. I've been eying off his records for years, as well as his amazing old style antique timber turntable with inbuilt wireless. It stands on the floor on it's own legs about 60 or 70cm high and about a metre or so wide. It's a pretty big unit, one which I have no room to fit in my tiny one bedroom apartment, but it's mine as soon as I have somewhere to put it!

Anyway, I decided not long ago to just buy myself a turntable of the ordinary size and get into the glorious world of vinyl records. I told this old neighbour of mine on one of my visits and needless to say, I was pretty excited when he told me I could have all of his records. And so, here my story starts.

I've only started on the 33's. There are 88 of them, plus a few of my own. The 45's and 78's, I'm sure I'll get to eventually...and there's a lot of them! There'll be highlights and lowlights. I'm already squealing with delight every time I play The Beatles on vinyl. It just sounds better on vinyl, I'm certain of it. Englebert Humperdinck and The Monkees will, I am sure, provide many entertaining musical moments for my ears, and hopefully yours through this eponymous rock and roll blog of mine. However, I'm not sure that Dean Martin and 20 Greatest Polka Hits is going to excite me quite as much. Still, I'm going to listen to every single one of them!

Then there is my parents records. I'm currently arguing with my youngest sister over who gets which records. But guess what, sister dear? I'm going to get that Pink Floyd - Dark Side of The Moon record, and there is nothing you can do about it. So, there! Ner Ner Ner. Add to that, David Bowie, Bruce Springsteen, Fleetwood Mac, Bob Dylan, Elvis Costello and Elton John, just to name a few. I intend to savour every morsel of musical goodness, and not even my persistent baby sister is going to stop me. She doesn't even have a record player yet anyway. And I know what you are thinking, but sorry sister, that Christmas day rock off doesn't count. All that practically non alcoholic jewel champagne must have affected my brain. I take it back :P

Anyway folks, that's pretty much why I decided to start my first blog. I hope it will provide as much entertainment for everyone reading as I'm sure it will provide for me in writing it. Make sure you bookmark me...I'll make it worth your while!

Stay tuned for the next installment of Ms Beret's rock and roll diary, guys, and until then, let the good times roll!

Cheers!

Raspberry Beret
X

Over and out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a Comment